K12 Project and Assignment 3: Build a Creature and a Monkey

Did you notice I have no idea if the “k” in K12 is capitalized or uncapitalized?  See, in the last sentence, k12 was capitalized.  Yet in that previous sentence, K12 was lowercase.  And yet, in that previous sentence… well, you get the idea.  Anyway, Project 3 introduces modeling, and taught me something new–using a bump map texture; which makes the object look, well, bumpy.  It’s interestingly called “normal” in the influence section of the Texture panel.  My special addition for this project was using “emit” (same section, same panel) to get some parts of the creature to seem to glow.  Upon noticing that it wasn’t a huge change (as well as my not being able to see its eyes), I also changed the camera angle and provided some more lighting.  I actually noticed then that it looked like he was jumping down, so… well, I suppose a picture’s worth a thousand words.

“Jason the Jumper”, as I call him, uses particles for the crashing-glass effect  The particles are on billboard mode, meaning that they show up as little black squares all over Jason.  I then told the “billboard” particles to look like a plane I hid offscreen–nothing fancy, just glass-blue.  Glass doesn’t really have a color, but to make the “glass” invisible would make them go unnoticed.
As well, I used armatures for the arms.

Time to get TECHNICAL IN TECHNICOLOUR: Armatures are also called bones, although they’re actually more like voluntary muscles.  They help a lot with animation, but they’re also good with pictures.  In Edit Mode, one could reposition the arms and legs againandagainandagainandagainandagain until they’re satisfied with that picture alone (it probably wouldn’t work for movies anyway since editing modifies the whole object–it’d look the same throughout the whole animation), but if you constrain the bones juuust right, all you have to do is move the bone and the arm moves–same for just about any moving part.

Assignment 3 also uses armatures, as well as a sky, simple tree and banana.


I couldn’t get the whole rigging/constraining set up for these bones, so I couldn’t move the right arm or tail the right way.  However, I did get enough done to get it to look fine.

Comments

  1. Hello!
    I know this animation has been done quite a long time ago and I don't expect you to help me out but..Is it possible for you to list out the steps you took to create this animation? I have a similar project and I am having some difficulties.
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finally--a Physical Mattework!

I've Uploded a 3D Model!

Tahu 2001 Animation Recreation (90th Anniversary Form)