The Making of We are Number One but it's BIONICLE

    So a few months ago, my sister Leena made a custom version of the widely used song meme "We Are Number One" and asked that I do the visuals based on some premade animations.  It was only half a year later that I remembered to do a blog post on it!  Without further ado, here's my contribution to BIONICLE fandom:



    Most of the work here was simply video editing in Premiere, but there were a few points where I ended up adding original elements and visual effects--for instance, I made Ekimu's saxophone in Adobe Illustrator while paying attention to the surrounding art style.

    The main changes I made were actually all based around masking and animating those masked elements in After Effects, using the same technique I used for the hand in my "Fire Hand" short.  I used a bit of motion tracking for some of the masks, but a lot of the motion was manual (e.g. masking Leena's signature yellow Miru Nuva over Sportacus' face was mainly manual).  Recoloring some of the Protectors to resemble Ekimu used a similar technique, but instead of putting an object elsewhere, I was masking a darkened, desaturated and partially transparent adjustment layer onto the Protectors (the fact that 2015's art style was relatively minimalistic helped a lot with this).

    Overall, I had a lot of fun with this project; I'd been wanting to make some noticeable contribution to one of my favorite franchises' fandom, but I hadn't been doing much with all the other projects I had in mind.  If you like this, you may want to check out Leena's channel; it has a variety of custom music videos, original short animations and more! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally--a Physical Mattework!

I've Uploded a 3D Model!