Some (Serious) Mattework

On our Big Trip around the world, we've been taking some "recordings!"  As a very generous gift, my grandparents gave me a full greenscreen and lighting set!  After transforming our living room into a studio, I made a few recordings of ourselves and then got to work on After Effects!  Overall, it was easier than I expected--after the work on the Ninjacopter, I didn't have to figure much out.

There were a few differences between this Mattework and my first successful greenscreen-ish project.  For this one, you again go to the menu on the far right and choose the "keying" drop-down menu.  This time, I dragged & dropped "color range" onto my video and used the eyedropper tool to select several different shades of green from the background.

The trouble, however, was the same one I'd run across with the Ninjacopter last post: some areas, in this case parts of our hair or heads, would disappear if I got too exact--apparently we were standing too close to the greenscreen.  I later found in my special effects book (another very helpful present; this one's from Grammy Ann) that although green is the easiest to edit with, blue screens have less of an effect on the actor's skin and hair. 

Despite these complications, I don't think things turned out too badly at all!  Or at least mostly.  Anyway, here's my first video: Zorg, Klenda and me at Australia!


For the next one, we did Oob in Hawaii.  At first I ended up doing a similar-quality video.  However, my father (or, as he is often known as, the Emperor of the Zoomlian Empire) encouraged me to go a bit further: the addition of ambient sounds. 

I ended up having it done in a heck of a lot of no time!  I got an hour-long clip of Hawaii, shortened it down to about half a minute, and got that down onto the greenscreen!  As well, I apparently got much better at Matteing!  Here's my final video with him:
I hope to do more of these in the future (Leena and Choclo in Japan, among other people and locations).  See you then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Uploded a 3D Model!

Seven Quick Takes Friday

Finally--a Physical Mattework!