Animation Test: Walking on Uneven Ground

    Ta-da!  I ripped some models from a game and made an animation with them to convince myself that ripping them was useful! (Also, I made my first video done completely in Blender since 2015!) 

    Again, neither Samus nor her gunship's models/rigging were made by me; both were ripped from the first Metroid Prime using the fantastic HECL.  For some reason I actually like the model from Metroid Prime 1 better than the one from Prime 2/3 (I think it may be the relatively minimalistic use of lights combined with less feminine-looking armor).  I was around halfway through this tribute to the underrated franchise when Prime 4/Samus Returns were announced, so I guess I'll call it a celebration of the franchise's return instead.  Also, for what it's worth, I'm calling it an "animation test" because there's not enough to the video to do the word "fanimation" justice ',:^|. 

    As the title implies, this is a jump for me because I animated the entire walk; since this was on uneven ground, I didn't use any walk cycling, leading to the lack of repetition making the walking a bit more lifelike.  I think the "weight"/leaning could use some improvements in order to fake gravity better in the future, but for a first try I consider it a success.  In addition to Samus' animation, I did the landscape and managed the shaders/materials for the transition to Cycles.  The total render took an estimated 5 hours, but the Cycles engine can definitely be worth long waits. 

    Additional credits: Samus' model and rigging + gunship model/rigging/floating animation by Retro Studios from Metroid Prime; the HD textures on both are from Ty Anderson. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally--a Physical Mattework!

I've Uploded a 3D Model!

A Random Guy