K12 Project and Assignment 5: Build a Terrain and Another Terrain

But first, an update on the K12/k12 argument: The logo looks like a lowercase “k” to the twelfth power.  However, given that company names are proper nouns, it would then be capitalized.  So now, the only question is this: do we side with the logo or the grammar?  Hmmm…

Now then, for project 5, I was supposed to use a stencil texture to make two different textures appear on the same object.  Here’s an example:

Here, I made a pink cloud texture and a “magic” texture.  I then used a striped stencil texture to make the pink clouds seem to be striped over the magic.  Essentially, stencils “cut” a texture to make another one show.

Well, that was what I was supposed to do for my ground with two image-based textures.  Here’s my standard terrain:

I created the hills and valley using Proportional Editing, a useful tool that smoothly forms an object to look more like, well, hills and valleys.  Here’s how it works: when I move a vertex, it automatically moves other vertices around it to make it look like I made a hill.  After that, I can easily do things like set it to “Smooth” and put on a SubSurface modifier to get it to look really, really, REALLY real
lyistic.
Here’s my “sunny terrain”.
K12 5 Terrain at Day
The clouds were mandatory in this one (in the standard terrain, they were more of a special addition).  The “clouds” are no more than a big plane with a texture on it!  A little problem was that the “sky” had shadows cast on it.  After trying this and that (and with a little help from my family), I fixed it using “shadeless,” where no shadows whatsoever are shown.  The creature (from my last two projects) is this part’s addition.  What I really have to say about all this is, “did you notice that every sentence in this paragraph has quotation marks (or parentheses)?”
K12 5 Terrain at Night
Here is my nighttime terrain.  I used a colorband for the moon (also used for the planets, my special additions), which is fitting more than one color on one object by making a ring of color (I also added a texture to make it look cool).  As I’ve said in a previous post, it’s easy to add stars–and make them colorful–with the click of a button.  I don’t think I’ve mentioned, however, that it’s equally easy to change the color(s) of the sky using a few sliders.  Also, I’ve found that you can get a really neat effect by moving a lamp (source of light) to where the terrain ends, imitating a sunset.

Here’s my assignment: Build Another Terrain.  It gave me a lighthouse on a plane and told me to use Proportional Editing, add the same textures with a stencil texture, and make a moon with a colorband:
K12 5 The Lighthouse
I decided to change the stencil texture to small dots.  My special addition here was the snow.  I constructed a basic snowflake off screen, and then made a particle system designed to imitate a scaled-down version of that snowflake (so much for no two snowflakes being alike)!

I’m currently working on my final assignment!  Post again soon(er)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally--a Physical Mattework!

I've Uploded a 3D Model!

Tahu 2001 Animation Recreation (90th Anniversary Form)