K12 Project and Assignment 7: A House, a Creature and Monkey Island.

Did you notice that there’s always an inconsequential paragraph first, then I get to the actual post?  I added to my first K12 post merely the fact that I’d started the class; in my second k12 post, I’d noted my addition of assignment 2.  My third K12 post introduced my curiosity as to the capitalization of the former letter of “k12″, and… well, you get the idea.

Now, project and assignment 7 were kind of “retro” projects: I had to bring together my house (Project 2) and my creature (Project 4).  I achieved this by “appending” an object from one file to another.  I also had to append the armature and “action,” or the animation itself.  I was also introduced to something I had no idea existed:  Bezier curves.  These can actually control the speed of how fast something goes, rotates, or moves across a path.  I used this for project 7′s door:  the door swung open in the “after” animation, as opposed to just rotating the door, which made for a much less dramatic opening (pun only half intended).

I don’t know how the creature could crash through the back of the house without damaging the framework either, but that wasn’t the objective of my project.  In the first part of this movie, I simply rotated the door open.  For the second part, I used a Bezier Curve to control the speed that the door opened.  The third part was just my changing the camera angle to show that near the end, the Bezier Curve also made the door start to close.

Finally, what you’ve been wondering about the title… MONKEY ISLAND!!!
 
For this assignment, I had to bring assignments 2 and 4 together.  Although I forgot to add a special addition for project 7 (other than adding a little deck for the creature to walk on), I decided to make up for it in this one.  It was easy to put a big “$OLD!” on the sign I made earlier, but the big addition was the sky.  I’d experimented around with using keyframes for changing materials (color+texture) as well as just objects, but this is by far the first time I’d actually involved it on anything outside experimental (more on my material-changing after my K12 classes).  I’d decided to change the colors of the sky according to the sun’s position, as I had to give the sun a path to move across the sky with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Quick Takes Friday

I've Uploded a 3D Model!

Finally--a Physical Mattework!