The Technical Stuff Behind Yoda

WARNING: As the name says, this deals with the technical stuff behind the creation of Yoda.  If you aren't an amateur computer animator or just aren't interested, you can just skip this post.
Well.  Going back to Yoda, I may as well start at the beginning: Mark I.  This model was pretty simple.  Lay out a plane as a backdrop, scale five cubes to get his feet, arms and torso, two more cubes for his lightsaber, some cones, spheres and cylinders for the background and party hat, and his head was just an extruded monkey head that's added in to Blender.  Quite simple, in fact the arms aren't even the same color if you look closely enough.

Now to Mark II (or I.V, or whatever you want): the movie.  By then I'd fixed the different-arm-color problem, scaled up the backgroud a bit and learned how to render, though the biggest change in my opinion (other than its being a movie instead of a picture) is the addition of disco.  I added (painfully) multiple lights (on "spotlight" mode) scattered around the scene.  I then changed the color.  For the movie part, then the big shock behind it is: I didn't use armatures.  No bones.  I selected each part of Yoda and changed the location and rotation at the selected frame.  I had a bit of trouble--the hat didn't spin in sync with the rest of him-- but simply ctrl-J fused his hat to his head and that took care of that easily.  I'm hoping that a much more advanced version in the future will have bones, because you can do much more stuff with those.

Last and anything but least, we're on to the biggest change in Yoda 3.0: A Night on Dagobah: Yoda's real clothing.  In the previous versions, his clothes was all he had--his robes were his torso and arms, which makes his kind of the opposite of undressed... un-bodied?  But I'd attempted to actually give him real clothes in this model, and make them cloth-like.  The only problem now--despite my enabling collision-- is that his clothes keep falling off him.  Fortunately, his "real" body is just a cylinder.  I think it has something to do with gravity.  Don't be surprised if I get back to this subject as I continue to get my first project more and more advanced!

In case you were wondering about last time's link-of-the-post, I got two here: www.blenderartists.org/forum and www.blendernation.com.  They're little more than Blender-related tutorials and forums, but I'll take what I have--I'm supposed to provide one CG site every post.  That's all the technical stuff for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally--a Physical Mattework!

I've Uploded a 3D Model!

Tahu 2001 Animation Recreation (90th Anniversary Form)